As two of our core offerings, it’s important that The Daily and The Waverly exemplify our values and craft, and that they be consistent coffees that we feel proud to serve. In 2019, the Coffee Strategy Team designed clear product definitions, flavor profiles, and values for each of our core products, and our goal is to align these products to these standards. To further this goal, in 2020 we will be exploring a new relationship with a coffee producing family in Brazil while leaning more heavily into the ones that we have come to rely on and value the most, such as the regional producers in Huila, Colombia that we work with through Caravela, and Cenfrocafe Cooperative in Peru.
About Veloso Coffee
A family-run operation, Veloso Coffee has been producing specialty coffees in the Cerrado region of Minas Gerais for decades, embodying the wisdom passed on from generation to generation and embracing sustainable innovation. To learn more, read on.
Blend Component Change Timeline
- The Daily:
- 50/50 Brazil Veloso & Colombia Huila A
- Mid January
- The Waverly:
- 50/50 Brazil Veloso & Peru Cenfrocafe
- March 2020
For a full calendar of our 2020 coffee rollouts and anticipated component changes, click here.
A Note from our Relationship Manager
From Amaris Gutierrez-Ray, Director of Roasting
At the forefront of our new sourcing and coffee strategy, as defined by the CST, is the phrase “to educate and be educated.” I fully embraced this philosophy, and I am grateful to say this year I’ve rolled it around on my tongue and in my mind, and the phrase has come to represent a manifold of meanings.
By communicating with the Veloso family and Anike Ejlers Wolthers of Red Container Coffee, the importing company that brought us coffee from Brazil, I learned how coffee farming in Brazil is like no other place in the world. Sourcing from Brazil is a new strategy for Joe, and it has given us the opportunity to investigate how we perceive the process of coffee production in general across the world. Civil infrastructure and regulations in Brazil are influenced by the coffee agriculture and supply industries. The Veloso business is exemplary when it comes to their treatment of people and their ability to focus on the current harvest and long-term sustainability practices simultaneously.
We have long been fortunate to work with organizations that prioritize economic and agricultural sustainability, complex structures for quality assurance, and mutual respect. Collaboration and intentionality are qualities we established as a standard for the logistics partners we work with, and the time we spent listening and learning from them has inspired me to bring these qualities into my own work in a whole, new, comprehensive way going into the new year.
It is nothing less than an honor that through our Daily and Waverly blends in 2020, we will be able to engage with and present the work of the Veloso family in Brazil, the Cenfrocafe Cooperative in Peru, and the regional associations in Huila working in tandem with Caravela Coffee in Colombia.
Key Talking Points
- Veloso Coffee is an institution in the Cerrado region of Minas Gerais in Brazil, where they are respected for business practices that are driven by community values, environmental sustainability, and quality.
- Strategic mapping of farm plots, supported by GPS technology, allows Veloso Coffee to manage a harvest schedule that is precisely aligned with optimum cherry ripening for better quality and optimal water management.
- Waverly: The Cenfrocafe Cooperative is a pillar of the coffee-growing economies and societies in Northern Peru, benefiting its coffee-producing members through education, economic support, and market advocacy.
- Daily: The Huila A grade is produced by members of the Villa Esperanza cooperative in Guadalupe and the El Paraiso growers’ association in Tarqui. Growers in these regions are unified by community values that support relentless innovation in quality and environmental sustainability.
Drop-In Tasting Sessions
You are invited to an informal tasting and talk about these new blends. Unless it is a scheduled session for only one blend, all tastings will include both Waverly on espresso and Daily on batch! All sessions will be held at our Roastery in Long Island City.
- Monday, 1/13 @3:30 pm
- Friday, 1/17 @3:30 pm
- Monday, 1/20 @11:00 am
- Monday, 1/20 @2:00 pm for Waverly Component Dial-In
- Friday, 1/24 @3:30 pm
- Monday, 1/27 @11:00 am
- Monday, 1/27 @2:00 pm for Daily Dial-In
- Monday, 2/3 @11:00 am
- Friday, 2/7 @3:30 pm