From Jonathan Rubinstein, Founder & CEO
Released Friday, March 13 (updated as of Saturday, March 14)
At Joe Coffee, the health and safety of our customers and our team members is of utmost importance to us. To this end, I want to share the precautions we are taking to ensure we are doing everything we can to protect the well-being of our community.
Since the onset of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, our dedicated task force has been meeting daily to monitor the rapidly developing situation and respond in accordance with guidance issued by the CDC and local authorities. These are the precautions we’ve put in place:
- We are committed to offering our customers and team members a clean, safe, and hygienic space 365 days a year. However, in light of this situation, we’re taking heightened precautions including implementing increased sanitizing and more rigorous hand-washing procedures.
- We have temporarily suspended to-stay ware as well as the practice of accepting personal cups. However, we will still honor the discount to anyone who brings in a reusable cup.
- We have removed condiments, milks, lids, straws, napkins, etc. from our condiment bars in an effort to minimize potential contamination. Our baristas will be happy to complete your order with the milk or sweetener of your choice, and provide these additional items at your request.
- We have suspended all cuppings for the public and staff until further notice. Any cuppings that are essential for Quality Control and business purposes will follow the SCA Modified Cupping Protocols.
- While our public classes will continue as scheduled for the foreseeable future, if any registrant wishes to postpone attending a class, we will be more than happy to reschedule their ticket to a future date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule.
- While we are currently operating our cafes as usual, we have modified our hours in certain locations, including our three Columbia University campus locations in response to school closures. For up-to-date hours, please visit our locations page.
- (Updated: March 14) In an effort to support social distancing and reduce risk for our customers and staff, we have temporarily removed seating where possible, offering to-go only service.
In the spirit of transparency, we are committed to keeping you informed about any further changes and will share updates in this space.
On behalf of the Joe Coffee team, I want to thank you for your patience, understanding, and trust as we navigate this uncertain—and certainly unprecedented—time together. We will strive to continue offering the welcoming spaces and warm hospitality you have come to expect from us—a safe haven for those who seek it. In this difficult time, we offer our entire community our sincerest wishes of good health.
Founder & CEO